Friday, February 11, 2011

Research

With a Compressor at a Natural Gas Well

I think the last time I wrote a research report was in high school.  It was titled "Not Your Mother's Mars", and discussed whether or not there was water on Mars (and if you're wondering, there was at one point, maybe).  I was a cool kid in high school, promise.  Anyway, tonight I'm beginning research on my second (ever) research paper assignment.  I'm taking Written Communication for Engineers, so they won't let me write about water on Mars (bummer), but I'm happy to announce that after many hours of pensive web-surfing I have chosen a topic... (drum roll, please)... Compressed Natural Gas Powered Vehicle Fleets!  I know you're wondering how I can stand to write this post while such an exhilarating topic awaits me, I am a little crazy, I guess.

Admittedly, I've been pretty apprehensive about the assignment--it's (on average) a 15-page single-spaced report full of technical jargon and fancy diagrams--but I've realized my folly.  Worry and fear are my biggest temptations and my most frequent sins, and sometimes I let my anxiety get to outrageous levels before I repent.  This last week was no different, as I found myself distraught; I couldn't choose a topic, I didn't know what to do.  In these times, I'm thankful for the Christians that God has placed in my life.  Nathan calmly reminded me what scripture says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:6)," and then he prayed for me.  Ah, blessed community!  Praise God!

In class the next day, I realized that one stressor was the tone my professor used.  Though she speaks strongly and seriously about the assignment, I will not worry about my performance in this class, but trust God and work for His approval and His glory.  I am thankful that God is guarding my heart and my mind by revealing temptations and showing me a way out!

P.S.  My interest in compressed natural gas vehicles stems from my summer internship with a natural gas company.  (See pic)

No comments:

Post a Comment