Monday, February 28, 2011

Oh, Beans.

While on the topic of confessions, I have another for you... if I could only remember what I was... ergh...

Anyway, I did some rearranging in my kitchen recently, giving our coffee beans and paraphernalia a new home.  I had to label the outside of the jars, because once I closed them I knew I wouldn't remember which was which (and probably would have to open all three before finding what I was looking for).


Yes, that reminds me what I was going to tell you.  I am terribly forgetful.  In fact, when I was younger, I'd put sticky notes on my dresser drawers to remember what clothing was in each one.  (Otherwise I'd open each drawer trying to find my socks, shirt, etc...)


I like labels because they are a visual reminder (and I am, obviously, a visual person).  I don't like forgetting things, because it reminds me that I'm finite (which is humbling).  But in the midst of that, I remember my infinite God and his admonitions to remember (and not the location of my underwear, but to remember Him). How do I remember God?  I set up ebenezers.


My ebenezers include paintings of scripture, mementos (like a stone from a sermon about the rocks "crying out" that Messiah has come, or my wedding ring), and even sticky notes all over my computer desk.

How do you remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment