Friday, May 30, 2014

Friday Favorites 5/30/14

Today's Friday Favorites post is going to be outdoors themed, because my legs are still tired and my sunburn stings from my 11 mile hike yesterday.


  1. Danskin Now Women's Striped Performance Racerback Tank with Wicking, $6 at Wal-Mart (Pictured above)
    This tank is a steal.  It's showing online as $5, but I picked mine up a few days ago for $6.  Either way, it is a super-lightweight semi-fitted workout tank for mere pocket change.  I did not have high hopes because it seemed too good to be true, but it kept me cool all day yesterday and you can't beat the price.  (Note:  they do run large.  I bought a small, and I typically wear a med/large in workout tops.)
  2. Picaridin Bug Spray (Repel Tick Defense)
    I used to be all, "Gimme that 40% DEET!  Only the strongest will do!  I don't care if DEET melts plastic and poisons your pets, I HATE misquito bites!"  Then, I needed to buy some more bug spray for my hike yesterday, and since I have a healthy fear of ticks and Lyme disease, I picked up Repel's Tick Defense spray.  I was surprised to see that it had no DEET, so I did what any logical person would do, I Googled the active ingredient right there while standing in the aisle at Wal-Mart.  One of the first lines I read, "Picaridin is a repellent for mosquitos and other insects which is similar in effectiveness to DEET, but more pleasant to use and much less likely to cause skin irritation (source)."  Having recently partially dissolved the side of a water bottle with DEET, this sounded great to me.  The verdict:  It doesn't stink, none of my clothing was harmed (and I sprayed it all over), and I didn't have ANY ticks after my 5 hour hike through various grasses and trees probably swarming with ticks.
  3. Neutrogena Beach Defense Sunscreen
    This stuff smells amazing.  Like a smell you'd want to smell like even if you weren't putting on sunscreen.  Plus, it works (the sunburn I have is from where I neglected to apply sunscreen...).  I have both the lotion and the spray-on kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment