Sunday, December 12, 2010

Advent

From Italy -- My favorite.

My mom collects nativity scenes.  She probably has 30 or so scattered around the house, each one with a different origin, but all telling the same story.  She sets them out every year before Christmas, each has its own place.  Everywhere you look, you encounter a visual reminder of the story of Jesus' birth.

From Mexico

Last week someone asked me what my family or I do to prepare for Christmas.  My church lights advent candles, starting four weeks before Christmas.  Advent means "arrival" or "coming", and the lighting of the candles helps build anticipation and reminds us that the day we celebrate Immanuel's birth is coming.  But I didn't have an answer for what I do.


I've been reading the gospel accounts of the birth of Christ, but I'm wondering this:  What do you do to prepare for Christmas?

2 comments:

  1. Lauren,

    Our Bible study is celebrating Advent together! My church gave us a reading guide, a different reading for 5 of the days of the week, for the four weeks before Christmas. We're using that and taking a break from Luke. It's been SO great; there's so much to learn about the birth of our Savior! Last week we read several chapters from Isaiah and I thought of you. :)

    If you're interested in the reading guide, I included it below (even though we're already in the third week). Okay, now I have to study some more. Hurray for cramming and finals. :)

    Loves,
    Ann

    Week 1: Psalm 42, Psalm 40, Psalm 80, Psalm 130, Lamentations 5)

    Week 2: Isaiah 60, 2 Samuel 7, Psalm 98, Malachi 3:1-4, Isaiah 40:1-11, Isaiah 42

    Week 3: John 1:1-18, John 6:22-59, John 8:12-30, John 10:1-18, John 14: 1-14, John 15:1-8

    Week 4: 2 Peter 3, Isaiah 2:1-5, Isaiah 11:1-10, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-5:11, Revelation 21: 1-8, Revelation 22:6-21

    ReplyDelete