My husband brought his love of peaches into our marriage. He has taught me the joy of a bowl full of juicy, sliced peaches shared with someone you love. (However, it would take a pretty large bowl to hold enough for the both of us...) Before I was married, apples were my favorite fruit. I usually ate at least one apple a day, and didn't get tired of it. Now, peaches are my new favorite fruit, joining apples & tying for the #1 spot in my heart.
This apple nectarine cobbler is pretty darn close to the marriage of my two favorite fruits. Nectarines have a nice skin, though, so they worked better for this than peaches would have. Always peel peaches when you cook them. It's a life rule of mine.
So, without further ado, the recipe:
Apple Nectarine Cobbler
by Lauren Spare
2 Med. Apples (I used Gala, but use what you like), sliced
2 Med. Nectarines, sliced
1/3 c. White Sugar
1 T. Corn Starch
1 T. Lemon Juice
1/2 c. Rolled Oats
1/2. c. Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 c. Turbinado Sugar (or sub another kind and use a little less)
1/4 t. Salt
1 1/2 t. Cinnamon
2 T. Melted Butter
2-3 T. Canola Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together filling mixture and set aside.
- Stir together dry ingredients of topping. Drizzle butter and 2 T. oil over the top. Stir together and add additional oil if mixture isn't coming together (there should be no dry bits at the bottom).
- Pour filling into a 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish and sprinkle topping over it.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is browned and fruit juice is bubbling.
Notes: I didn't peel my fruit, since the peel has extra nutrients, but do whatever your heart tells you. Handsome preferred them peeled. Also, I used whole-wheat because I wanted to feel like it was sort of healthy... again, follow your heart (belly).