Thursday, September 22, 2011

Recipe: Apple Nectarine Crisp

You know what?  Marriage is a wonderful thing.  Two people coming together and becoming one flesh.  Each person brings all of their life experiences, traditions, hopes, fears, expectations, sins, etc.  It's the beautiful and messy juxtaposition of two lives, and I am overcome with how wonderful it is.



My husband brought his love of peaches into our marriage.  He has taught me the joy of a bowl full of juicy, sliced peaches shared with someone you love.  (However, it would take a pretty large bowl to hold enough for the both of us...)  Before I was married, apples were my favorite fruit.  I usually ate at least one apple a day, and didn't get tired of it.  Now, peaches are my new favorite fruit, joining apples & tying for the #1 spot in my heart.



This apple nectarine cobbler is pretty darn close to the marriage of my two favorite fruits.  Nectarines have a nice skin, though, so they worked better for this than peaches would have.  Always peel peaches when you cook them.  It's a life rule of mine.

So, without further ado, the recipe:



Apple Nectarine Cobbler
by Lauren Spare

Filling:
2 Med. Apples (I used Gala, but use what you like), sliced
2 Med. Nectarines, sliced
1/3 c. White Sugar
1 T. Corn Starch
1 T. Lemon Juice

Topping:
1/2 c. Rolled Oats
1/2. c. Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 c. Turbinado Sugar (or sub another kind and use a little less)
1/4 t. Salt
1 1/2 t. Cinnamon
2 T. Melted Butter
2-3 T. Canola Oil

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Stir together filling mixture and set aside.
  3. Stir together dry ingredients of topping.  Drizzle butter and 2 T. oil over the top.  Stir together and add additional oil if mixture isn't coming together (there should be no dry bits at the bottom).
  4. Pour filling into a 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish and sprinkle topping over it.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is browned and fruit juice is bubbling.
Notes: I didn't peel my fruit, since the peel has extra nutrients, but do whatever your heart tells you.  Handsome preferred them peeled.  Also, I used whole-wheat because I wanted to feel like it was sort of healthy... again, follow your heart (belly).



ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment